Thursday, August 18, 2011

I went to the doctor today.
It seems I have gained 10 pounds this YEAR. That was upsetting. However, more upsetting was the apparent glee the 400-lb nurse felt at telling me. Really? Who was she to judge me?
We as women are a catty bunch. We tear eachother apart based on an unattainable image of "beauty" we have in our heads. And I find no one is immune. The unattractive, homely girls are the obvious choice, but being attractive almost makes you more of a target.
Men seem to find just about all women attractive in some way. Whether that is a positive or not, I don't know. But I do know that very few women find other women attractive. And when we do, we usually don't say anything. We'll search out whatever we can find to criticize.
But, perhaps, more upsetting is how critical we are of ourselves. I often stand in front of the mirror wishing my hair was thicker, my teeth were whiter, my freckles non-existent. But what good does that do me? Realistically, there's not much I can do about these things. But one thing i CAN change is my attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment