Sunday, August 28, 2011

Is it time?

When I was growing up I was terrified of the rapture taking place, with me being left behind.
I grew up in the Assemblies of God, which meant hell and brimstone were regularly preached, seemingly in an attempt to scare all of us into Heaven. So, each night I would get into bed and dutifully recite all my sins, asking for forgivess, praying to not be left behind. Then I'd go to sleep.
If I woke during the night I would listen for my dad snoring. He was on the deacon board. He taught a Sunday school class. He led music for the services. Surely God would not leave him behind. So, if I could hear him, I knew I was safe. The simple reasoning of child.
After I married and had my daughter, this again filled my thoughts. What if the rapture happened? I knew we would be taken, but would we know eachother in Heaven? Would I not get the chance to see her grow up, marry, have children of her own? I remember laying in bed, sobbing, many mornings after my husband left for work. I needed answers. I had to know.
I cried out to God in my despair, and he answered me. Just like the Bible says. Who knew? God promised me He would not return until my children were grown, and that my children would not grow up without their mother (my other nagging fear). That gave such peace to my heart! I felt like I had been heard, and I received an answer.
Well, guess what? My daughter is now 19, and my son is beginning his senior year in high school. My children are grown, and they've done so with their mother. God kept his promise. Does that mean "the end" is near? The Bible says no one knows the day or the time. I knew when it wasn't. But now it seems all the signs are pointing that way. Earthquakes in Pennsylvania. Tsunamis wiping out entire villages. Wars and rumors of war striking terror in men's hearts. I guess it's time to keep my eyes open....

No comments:

Post a Comment