Saturday, February 23, 2013

Musings on NYC

I'm a people watcher, and there's no better place to do that than in a city.  New York city makes it even more interesting.

I accompanied my husband on business trip to New York yesterday.  While he was at an appointment,  I sat in a Panera Bread, observing.  I was a little surprised at how many people come there on a daily basis.  Employees were actually walking through the dining area, greeting people by name.  I'm not talking about retired seniors.  These were construction workers and business people, parents with small children and a few older couples.  It really boggled my mind to think about going there everyday.  Seems a little boring to me.

Today we wandered the streets of Manhattan, in the rain.  Apparently neon orange running shoes are in.  And fur is BIG; not just coats, but hats, boots, vests and scarves.  I don't think I've ever seen that much fur, except in my uncle's taxidermy shop.

I was surprised by the number of people pushing their kids in strollers, in the rain, cocooned in sheets of plastic.  What on earth could be so important that you just HAD to drag your kid out in the cold and drizzle?  Maybe there was a sale on fur.

I sat on the front stoop of a store for several minutes waiting for my husband to bring the car.  I was tucked under an eave, avoiding the rain.  I watched people go by, cautious to avoid extended eye contact.  People's reactions at seeing me sitting there intrigued me.  It seemed they were accustomed to seeing the homeless sitting around, most with blankets over their heads today to avoid the rain.  I realized people may be watching me as much as I am watching them.  That is a sobering thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment