Sunday, February 17, 2013

Seeking validation

Have you ever wondered what type of person you'd need to be to participate in a show about being the worst at something?  I love watching Worst Cooks in America!  These people are the epitome of bad taste (pun intended).  They are so bad, in fact, that I sometimes wonder if they're for real.  I've had a couple mishaps throughout my years of cooking, but I can't imagine going on tv and proclaiming it to the whole world.

I'm not a fan of American Idol, but I do enjoy the audition shows.  These people come on, full of themselves and exuding self-confidence.  Half the time they don't even seem to understand what the judges are saying to them.  They truly believe they're great.  It especially cracks me up when they say "my family and friends told me I should come on this show because they just love how I sing".  What I hear when they say that is, my friends really don't like me and my family is mean.

What's been missing in these people's lives that they're willing to make a total fool out of themselves for money and (fleeting) fame? I know we all have voids in our lives we are seeking to fill.  I know I do.  I just can't imagine that this would make me feel any better about myself.  But I have learned one thing.  The next time my friends say "you should be on that show", I will run the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment