Monday, January 21, 2013

Great comeback

Did you ever have one of those events when you think of the GREAT comment later, when you're home, and it's too late?  Yeah, me too.

On my way home from the mission this afternoon, I passed an old "friend" on the highway.  I use that term loosely, since I haven't seen her in over two years.  Not since she called the police and falsely accused me of harassment.  But I digress.

As I was passing her van I thought "she looks familiar".  She must have thought so, too, because she pulled up to where she could see me in my side view mirror.  No kidding, she slammed on her breaks and pulled in behind me, staying about 3 car lengths away.  When I pulled off at the exit, she was right behind me, staring me down in my rear-view mirror.

I was so startled to see her that I didn't know what to do.  But as I've played it over and over again in my mind, it ended in many different scenarios.  I think my favorite one is that I pulled up beside her, looked her straight in the face, gave her the biggest grin that showed all my teeth and waved like I was SO glad to see her.  I'm sure that would have pushed her over the edge.

When I am playing out these responses in my head, I sometimes wish I had thought of them at the moment.  But more often than not I realize the blessing of haven't thought of it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment