Friday, January 4, 2013

Internet dating

Someone asked me what I think about internet dating.  I have no real experience with it myself but it seems to me like another way for people to falsely represent themselves and hurt people.

Dating is hard, in general.  It's awkward and uncomfortable.  You have to make yourself vulnerable, to put yourself out there and  risk rejection.  I think taking the human element out of it, relying on the computer to connect you makes it further complicated.

Humans, by nature, lie.  They want to present themselves as best as possible.  To be more attractive or taller.  To be more successful or established.  To not be a psychopath.  Meeting someone face-to-face lets you know some of these things upfront.

I hate to be misled, deceived and lied to.  How can I know the picture you're showing on your dating profile isn't from 10 years ago when you were thin and had hair?  Or that it's even you at all?  Now, readers, before you go getting all "don't just pick a date based on looks" admit that we all do it.  That's how we're designed.  We are all atracted to beauty.  Fortunately, that translates into many different things for each of us.  Is it right? I don't know.  But it's better than picking based on money or social status.  I think.

That said, be careful. Get to know the person you're engaging on-line.  Ask questions.  Don't fall for a pretty face.  Make sure there's some substance to the person.  You are a quality person; you deserve the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment