Saturday, January 5, 2013

Modeling school

My husband and I were walking at the mall today.  There was a kiosk set up there for the Barbizon Modeling Agency.  Now it would make sense, at least to me, if the people working at the booth were at least pretty.  The three ladies were fairly tall and quite young, but about as remarkable as a penny.

I watched them as we lapped the mall.  Never a smile.  Never a word passed between them.  No attempt to draw people in or interest them in what they were selling.  It made me wonder if they thought no one at the mall was up to the standards of the school.

How quick we are to catergorize people.  Tall or short. Thin or fat.  Pretty or homely. But the truly amazing part is that we use ourselves as the guide.  Are they prettier than me? Am I fatter than her? When did we decide we were "it"?

How boring the world would be if everyone looked exactly the same, had the same interests, wore the same clothes and lived in exactly the same house.  The things that make us unique are the things about us that are different.  Green eyes.  Freckles.  Curvier figure.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  To bad our vision isn't better.

No comments:

Post a Comment