Monday, January 28, 2013

I remember

I didn't go to Water Street today.  I just had way too much arthritic pain in my knuckles and toes.  It makes me sad that I missed this opportunity.  It's something I really look forward to each week.  So, instead, I sat on the couch with a blanket (and meds) most of the day.

I hate days like this, but one positive was my son sat there with me for a while, just talking and watching tv.  Times like this are precious.  He's a man and will soon be off on his own, supporting himself, too busy to just sit.  That's exactly how I raised him and his sister to be: productive, capable adults.  I just didn't count on getting old along the way.

I didn't used to understand what my Gram was talking about when she'd call on my birthday and tell me how much older she felt.  Now I know.  I look back and see my oldest nephew be born.  He's married now and 35, but it seems just like yesterday.  How quickly the time flies!

There are times when events seems a lifetime ago.  Then there are other times I remember things like it was just yesterday.  Times when I connect with friends from my youth, and it feels like we just pick up right where we left off the last time we were together.  Or when I go to sleep in my old room at my parent's house, and it's hard to believe I haven't lived there in 26 years.  The mind is an amazing thing.

My body may be breaking down, but my mind is still alive.  Well, for the most part anyway.  I may not have all the memory I used to, but I remember the important things.  Lasting friendships.  The ones I love.  Events important only to me.  Remembering is great.  Making new memories is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment